Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Kids we don't have

This is the post I meant to write yesterday. But I couldn't. My great friend, Karin, posted a mathematical dilemma that totally ruined my day. Plus, I found out Lassie was a boy dog. Oh my.

So here is what I meant to write...

With four dogs and no kids, E and I find that kids are a total crack up. What are they thinking? Where was our brain at that age? Are these kids really normal? Will they grow up to be drug dealers or gang members or pillars of the community?

We live in a very traditional community, and our household lack of children is very apparent. Most of our neighbors are the SILK families: single income, lots of kids. We are more like TAFDo. Two adults, four dogs. SILKs find TAFDos a weird cult. Huh?

I could not miss the chance when a child at the dog park latched on to Gus, our goldie/german shep mix.



She called him GOS (like toast). "Gos, Gos, you're a nice doggy." Then "Gos, Gos, wait up!" The child's sister and friend had a different game going. Those two ran around the dog park learning all the dogs' names. They then challenged each other to how many dog names they had learned. "I have 15!"  "Well, I have 17."

They never got to Gos. He was busy...



Gos and friend



I think Gos loved this attention.

But not all kids we encounter are at the dog park. After Christmas, we took my mother to an Arizona Cardinals football game. This young chap was sitting in front of us. Tell me he didn't just love the game!
 



 

 

We aren't rootin' for the Cardinals this weekend. But this kid? We'll root for him forever!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cute post.

Kids see the world very differently. I took my son to look at dogs in the animal shelter, and, unfortunately, he was enamored of the chihuahuas-- one of my least favorite breeds.

But he wanted to touch them all-- except the ones that were barking at him.

Anonymous said...

All right, this is too darn good. As if Gos weren't enough, we also have chubby little arms.

sealaura said...

your dogs are so pupular huh? I mean popular! It does seem at times that people find me, B, norm and newman a little odd, sans kids. I do love kiddos, none have come my way, so I guess for now, it's me and the boys. Not a bad cult though. :)

Carol said...

Gus is a beautiful mix and looks so gentle. Love the little guy at the game. You took great shots of him!

Gus, Louie and Callie said...

What a sweet post. If you don't have kids you can enjoy other peoples without the worry of how they will turn out..

Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

Gus, Louie and Callie said...

Mom forgot to tell you that, I Gus does have a pretty thick coat.. I have a top coat which is like a duck, the water runs off and an undercoat that is soft.. Louie and Callie don't have that thick of a coat but they have Marley beat by a mile..

Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

Tash said...

This is so darling. You've got me rooting for the boy too.

The thing about kids is that they grow up way to quick...our 15-yr-old likes to display the obnoxious childhood traits at times. So, the pleasure of little tikes petting our Amy and seeing them at Ruby's grappling with an ice-cream Sunday a foot above their eyesight is a pleasure for 'kids-we-do-haves' too.