Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Trees against the sky...

Trees, trees against the sky -
O I have loved them well!
There are pleasures you cannot buy,
Treasurers you cannot sell,
And not the smallest of these
Is the gift and glory of trees. . . .
So I gaze and I know now why
It is good to live - and to die. . . .
Trees and the Infinite Sky. 
from
 Trees Against The Sky by Robert William Service
http://famouspoetsandpoems.com/poets/robert_william_service/poems/13473.html 
Trees I found along the Salt River yesterday.

8 comments:

Janet, Gus, and Gracie said...

lovely, just lovely!

Stella said...

I suppose you knew that trees and Robert Service are two of my favorite things/poets!

You just made me go get out an old, old book called Rhymes of a Rolling Stone, and now I can sit and spend some time, reading about the cold North!

Cheers and hugs,

Jo and Stella, and sometimes Ali Z

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh, you and your beautiful desert.

Thérèse said...

I must admit I don't know Robert WIlliam Service and just read the whole poem. I love the first picture which illustrate so well the excerpt you chose.

Ashley said...

I love the first picture! Such unusual trees! It's so nice to see green grass too! Snow is still melting here in MN.

Banjo52 said...

Still more images I wouldn't have connected to Arizona. Thank you!

My few friends who know AZ are split on which is preferable, the Phoenix area or Tucson area. Care to weigh in on that?

Shelley said...

Perfect poem to go w/ your lovely photos!

Brenda's Arizona said...

Banjo - Tucson vs Phoenix. Totally different beasts in so many ways!