Saturday, September 11, 2010

The long ribbon of road lives on

After vacation, one can easily spend hours unpacking. The dirty clothes were easy to sort; it is the collection of photos, the silly souvenirs, the unsent postcards, and mis-folden maps that are cluttering up my space. And, too,  I found the pile of bills that were neatly stacked while I was gone, the sticky notes of messages and phone calls to return, and the self directed 'to do' list I knew I could attack once I had a vacation...

A good vacation is a classroom, a learning experience. 
A good student/vacationer learns 
the geography of paradise, 
the foods and drinks of vacation, 
and the tempo of relaxation. 

And if one does his homework right, he learns much much more. And if he is a really good student, he saves every scrap of thought, every new experience, and every sense of  "AHH!" that the change of pace brought forth.

Every road has a route.

And every person has a story. 
No one can steal that away.

11 comments:

The Retired One said...

So true! Well said.

Barb said...

Your trip was wonderful! I enjoyed your photos and commentary. Hope the afterglow lingers with you.

Gail said...

Well written and loved taveling with you.

Banjo52 said...

Yes indeed.

Pat Tillett said...

Great stroy and pics. You got me with that last one...

MadSnapper said...

LOVE the bison in the ribbon of road and isn't it amazing how beautiful a photo can be of just a THING, like the last photo

Life Is A Road Trip said...

Awesome, awesome photos. I am glad you had such a good time. That troll cracks me up every time.

Elaine said...

Ah, yes, so many stories on the road, and so much to learn. I really like your first photo of the bison on the road!

Pasadena Adjacent said...

The bison on blacktop; to funny

glad you had a good time.

Pat MacKenzie said...

The best part of 'after the vacation' is putting the pictures in a scrapbook, decorated with bits and pieces of ephemera from your trip.

Banjo52 said...

"A good vacation is a classroom, a learning experience.
A good student/vacationer learns
the geography . . . ." Definitely. Just returned from four days of this myself, trying to figure out what to say about it.

How do golfers and go-go-goers respond to your statements?