Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Who knew?

"e to the x, dy/dx, e to the x dx
cosine, secant, tangent, sine,
three point one four one five nine
square root, cube root, log of pi,
dis-integrate them RPI."  
We often meet our friend, a Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute graduate, for dinner.    
The first question we always ask him isn't "How are you?". 
It is "Hey, can you sing the R.P.I. song?" 
And he complies. 
People eating at tables around us usually turn and stare. Several are embarrassed for us.  
But wait, it gets worse.
"SOHCAHTOA," my husband shares.
"OHSAHCOAT back at you," I reply.
 
Life is good in small doses.  And too smart friends are fun in even smaller doses. 
 
(the above profile picture is of Hipparchus, the father of trig onometry. The picture is in the public domain, as the copyright as long expired.
The periodic sin is from Wikipedia, and is in the public domain)

11 comments:

RoeH said...

Think of my in action swooshing hand over head. Woooo. To much for my tiny brain. But neat post! :))

Pat Tillett said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I think I'd always keep my mouth full at your dinnertable.

Pat Tillett said...

Darn it! I meant to say I have no CLUE." Not no "due."
and then I screwed it up and it's gone....
whatver I said....LOL

Brenda's Arizona said...

Pat, it made sense either way!!!
You all are welcome to come to our table - please!!! With wine, the conversation all makes sense.

MadSnapper said...

glad you were there and not me, since i have no clue what any of this means. it would not do for me to be around TOOOO SMART or TWO Smart people for sure.

Banjo52 said...

Were there a lot of Masons at the restaurant? I think Dan Brown and Christine O'Donnell might like to join you. :)

I should write more about my philosopher friend, Viggie. At least half of the Saturday breakfasts end up on sort of esoteric stuff. Yes, math is esoteric.

Brenda's Arizona said...

Banjo, you lost me on the Mason's comment? No O'Donnells in the restaurant - we sprayed pest repellent around before we sat down. Stephen Hawkins, now he is welcome anytime. Or not...
OK, maybe Carl Sagan can come back?

Willoughby said...

That makes our dinner conversations seem pretty trivial!

Banjo52 said...

I thought all that math stuff looked like a private code, maybe an Illuminati thing . . .

Dumb joke. I've got more.

Pasadena Adjacent said...

This sounds like a fab-o-lisous gathering. The graphics are great. Very Rossetta stone

My father was a Cal Tech graduate. Once when he got drunk, he cornered me behind the kitchen table and proceeded to explain the mathematical calculations involved to keep satallites from bashing into planets why they made there way through the solar system. It was touching