Friday, January 15, 2010

Scenes recaptured


 Along the California coast, circa 2005.

People often ask me if this is a photo of me. No... my only participation in this photo was as the photographer.  I don't know who the young lady is, and I am flattered that someone/anyone would suggest it was me. If we are going to fantasize this is me, can we have Daniel Craig sitting on the beach, too? I want the "Bond, James Bond" Craig. I want him to be through mourning the death of Vesper, too. He and E can be sitting together, discussing fast cars or how to set up a sting.

Pictures always tell a story. My favorite stories are the ones I can imagine, the ones that aren't obvious but can be implied. Those are the stories behind the eyes, displayed in posture or hidden in shadows.

I remember the story behind this photo.

Iilya wouldn't smile because his teeth were covered with metal - BRACES. I was smiling because I only had to wear a retainer and I could pop it out before any photos were taken. His braces/my retainer were a great point of 'discussion' between us. I think I did a lot of "nya nya nyas" at Iilya.

I have been scanning old family slides. It is one job I can do 'one handed'. I am really enjoying this task, looking for stories behind the photos. E is  probably weary of my interrupting his work and readings: "Look at this one.... ". E's one patient guy. And he even likes Daniel Craig.




2 comments:

Gus, Louie and Callie said...

Oh ya pretending is good.. Mom likes that handsome dude too.. hehe

Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

Anonymous said...

I knew you'd put the time to good use. (I was a retainer girl, too. Always breaking it, or losing it. Still remember how to snap it in and out with the tongue.)